May: Collect fecals on all horses
Categorize your horse
- If fecal egg count (FEC) is 0 = no shedder
- If fecal egg count is greater than 200 = low shedder
- If fecal egg count is between 200 and 500 = medium shedder
- If fecal egg count is greater than 500 = high shedder
If your horse falls into the medium to high shedder category, recheck fecal 2 weeks after the first deworming. The FEC should be decreased by 90% or more.
Re-collect fecals in November
- Horses will need to be wormed for bots regardless of fecal egg count.
- If your horse falls into the medium or high shedder categories, deworm and recheck in 2 weeks to make sure you have reduced your parasite load.